If you are contemplating divorce or perhaps you know that your spouse is, it is important to take the necessary steps to ensure that you are protecting your rights and interests. In Virginia, getting divorced requires the parties to address every aspect of their marriage including their property, their children, and financial support. Having a knowledgeable Northern Virginia divorce lawyer to guide you will ensure that you are well-equipped and prepared for the divorce even before the process begins. Based in Fairfax, the Law Office of Afsana Chowdhury, PLC, will provide reliable, effective legal representation for your divorce. Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Get separate residences. Some couples try to continue living together after filing for divorce. However, under Virginia law divorce goes faster and more easily after you have established separate residences for at least six months, or one year if you have children together. Find separate places to live as soon as possible.
- Don’t try to get divorced on your own. Some people think they do not need to hire a divorce lawyer, but filing for divorce yourself or using an online service can cost you more money in the long run. It is easy for someone unfamiliar with the law to make serious mistakes. You may end up going through the whole process again.
After this, your next step should be to contact an attorney to get started on your divorce. We can help with every aspect of divorce, including alternatives like separation and annulment. We will also work to bring you positive results in matters like:
- Division of marital property and spousal support
- Child custody and visitation agreements
- Reaching a fair child support order
- Creating a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement
- Property settlement or separation agreement