If you are considering a divorce in Virginia, The Law Office of Afsana Chowdhury, PLC can provide you with the support and guidance you need. An amicable divorce is perhaps one of the most desirable options for people who can come to an agreement about their divorce and the outcome of it. Sometimes, marriages do not work out, and both parties can see that. This is when it becomes beneficial for both parties to work together to come to an agreement on the divorce. Our Fairfax amicable divorce attorney can work closely with you to ensure your rights are protected throughout this process.
What Is an Amicable Divorce?
An amicable divorce is a type of collaborative divorce. That means that both parties come together with an agreement to divorce. The decision to divorce is agreed upon by both individuals, and often these individuals come together to do this in a civil, positive manner. It does not mean that the parties will be friends after the divorce, but it does mean they can work together to come to an agreement.
When you work with our Fairfax amicable divorce attorney, you will learn as much as possible about the process and what it means for you and your future. Our attorney will explain the implications of this process.
An amicable divorce can sometimes be an uncontested divorce. During this process, both parties come to an agreement over the core components of the divorce. This may include:
- The division of property
- Child custody matters
- Child support matters
- Alimony matters if applicable
- Who will pay attorney fees
- Other decisions required to end the marriage
There is a lot of work to do in this process, but one of the most important factors to remember about this legal process is that you both remain in control over the outcome of the marriage. That is, both parties will work together to agree to the terms.
FAQ: How To Have A Smooth Divorce
Your Fairfax Amicable Divorce Attorney Can Help You – Reasons to Consider an Amicable Divorce
There are a number of benefits of an amicable divorce. The process is still confusing and complicated, with a number of steps that have to occur. However, there are clear benefits to the process.
- It’s up to you: One of the key benefits of an amicable divorce is that you remain in control of the divorce. For those that do not want a judge making these personal decisions and can come together to decide on their own, this type of divorce may be ideal.
- It’s more affordable: The cost associated with an amicable divorce is often significantly less than that associated with a contested divorce. This is even more the case when you work with The Law Office of Afsana Chowdhury, PLC, as we offer a flat-fee service. That means you know what you are going to pay rather than having to pay hourly rates.
- It’s faster: Typically, when both parties are in agreement on how to end the marriage, the decisions can be made sooner, and that means the process can be faster. Virginia does require a one year waiting period in which both parties must live separate from each other prior to the dissolution of the marriage. This waiting period can be reduced to six months if the parties have a signed separation agreement AND have no minor children together.
- Privacy: Through this type of divorce, there is more privacy throughout the process. Your Fairfax amicable divorce attorney will always protect your privacy, but that is harder to do in a case that needs to go to court. In an amicable divorce like this, there is less need for those legal decisions to be made public.
- More control to you: Though you both have to agree to the terms of the agreement, many people find that they can have access to more of their assets, and they are less likely to need to sell valuable assets to divide them.
An amicable divorce may be right for you if you can agree to the terms of the divorce with your spouse. If that is the case, our Fairfax amicable divorce attorney can help you through the entire legal process.
You Can Have an Amicable Divorce with Children
Another factor to keep in mind is that it is possible to have an amicable divorce if you have minor or dependent children. The key here is that you and your spouse need to be willing to make decisions about the children together. That is complicated in some situations, but your Fairfax amicable divorce attorney will work closely with you to navigate the process of coming to those decisions if needed.
Some areas you may need to consider include:
- Where the child will live
- Who will make health care decisions for the child
- Who will pay child support
- What type of visitation will be in place
- How will holidays be handled
- How will costs be handled
Here are some of the most common questions people ask about amicable divorce in Virginia. Remember that this process is still very specific to you. That means you need to be sure to speak to an attorney who can answer questions about your situation.
How do you file for amicable divorce?
It is possible to gather forms and submit them to the state on your own. However, this process is more complicated than most expect. If you miss a deadline, fail to provide comprehensive outlines of agreements or lack signatures, you could end up having documents returned to you over and over again.
The fastest and easiest way to file for divorce is to contact The Law Office of Afsana Chowdhury, PLC. We will work closely with you to get the process started.
How much will an amicable divorce cost?
The cost associated with this type of divorce is dependent on the complexity of it. Unlike others, our Fairfax amicable divorce attorney keeps costs as low as possible by using a flat fee service. That means we work with you, complete the necessary documentation, ensure everything is done properly, and file the documents with the court properly. We do this for a flat fee which you know up front.
Contact A Fairfax Amicable Divorce Attorney Today
At The Law Office of Afsana Chowdhury, PLC, we are here to help you. Contact us to file for divorce in Northern Virginia, including in Loudoun, Prince William, Fairfax, Alexandria, and Arlington.